Irish Guide Live - Homepage
Dundrum.com 
Home Advertise News 
Wed, 20th September 2017
Sections


Competitions
About Dundrum
Dundrum News
Press Releases
Events in Dundrum
Subscribe to Dundrum
Contact Us
Home



 

Back to Top

 

About Dundrum

Before the Anglo Norman Conquest, records show that a church stood at Dundrum on what is now the site of the 'old church' of St.Nahi, an eighteenth century structure. Following the landing of the Anglo Normans in Ireland in 1169, inner and outer fortifications were established throughout Dublin. Dundrum Castle was part of this outer defence system and lead to the establishment of the suburb of Dundrum itself.

In the seventeenth century, village activities in Dundrum centred on the castle itself. Colonel Isaac Dobson undertook the buildings restoration, adding an artificial lake and set out gardens. In the past the castle grounds were used for residential development, however, the castle today is in a ruinous state. In 1852 the population of Dundrum grew to 550, with its one street boasting 94 houses (mostly cottages). With colonial efficiency, Dundrum had been given a petty sessions court, a dispensary, national school, R.C. Church, a new church to replace St.Nahi's and the greatest coup of all in 1854 - a railway. Those years gave the village the basic shape it holds today.

For centuries, probably the most influential event to occur in Dundrum took place in 1854 with the opening of the Bray-Harcourt Street line. This brought with it economic activity and numerous benefits. The line was extended to Wicklow and Wexford and then into Waterford, allowing Dundrum inter-relate with these towns via the rail link. Its closure in 1958 was met with severe criticism by all involved.

The railway was efficient and Dundrum was the primary link station between Harcourt Steet and Shankill. Large villas sprang up on the properties around the area and Dundrum became a hub of business and social activity. The village also became a popular choice for those seeking a better and more desirable place to live. In the 15th century a corn mill was established in the area where the old Bowling Alley once stood. The mill survived for over three centuries before its it was transformed into the Manor Mill Laundry. This laundry was the largest employer of female labour in the district until it closure in 1942. In 1943 the Mill was taken over by Pye Ireland Ltd. Pye employed 1,200 males and 650 females, however, as a result of technological advancement was forced to close its doors for the last time in 1985.

Today, the Carnegie Library is a significant building in the village. Opened in August 1914 by the lord Chancellor, it continues to provide a library service to the local community. The last significant building to be erected in Dundrum village is the Shopping Centre which opened in 1963. The centre was notably one of the earliest of its kind opened in Ireland. Its architecture is representative of the time. The Wyckam end of the village, opened as an extension to the Pye factories in the mid-sixties, later becoming a H.Williams supermarket and then a Tesco store as it stands today.



Web design agency: webtrade dublin